Masonic Temple






Lodge No. 50 A.F. & A.M. was organized in Hastings in 1874 when the town was only two years old. In 1879 they moved into a newly constructed brick building at 213 North Hastings Avenue, which they shared with other Hastings lodges. That building was soon too small and in 1886 the cornerstone was laid for their new Temple at 617-623 West Second Street.

This ornate Victorian building, designed by Hastings architect, C.C. Rittenhouse, cost $26,000 and contained a large hall with a 32 foot Gothic cathedral ceiling. The dedication on St. John's Day, December 27, 1887 was described as "the grandest and most auspicious social event ever held in the prosperous Queen City."

The building was rebuilt in 1913, the upper portion of which remains unaltered. It features cream pressed brick and terra cotta, with a large cornice. The American Legion occupied the upper floors of this building from the late 1940s until 1973.

In 1930 the Masons moved to their large new building at Fourth and Hastings.