Enterprise Block

A group of local capitalists erected the Enterprise Block in 1887 at a cost of $46,000. It was a typical industrial building of its time, marked by a decorative cornice and cast iron store fronts. This building has long been associated with wholesaling, a major Hastings business activity.

Due to its excellent railroad connections, from the 1880s until the 1960s, Hastings was a major distribution point for many wholesale firms. The Cushing Company, wholesale grocers, was located here from 1900 until the 1950s. Their label, "Betty Ann" was well known in the area. From 1951 until 1996 the DeMars Beer Distributing Company operated in the north section of the building.

Hastings was also a distribution point for farm equipment, and later automobiles. Early implement firms located here included Burger & Alexander, C. E. Holmes Co., and N. F. Dameron. The first rail car load of automobiles brought to Hastings was distributed from this building by the Jones & Brandes Company in 1910. The first auto repair shop in Hastings was also located here.

Local newspapers, the Gazette-Journal and the Daily Press, were printed here in the late 1800s. The Hastings Tribune occupied the north section of the building from 1922 until 1934. During that time the north wall was covered with the "World's Largest Front Page," a reproduction of the Tribune as it looked in the 1920s.