William Brach House


The large Queen Anne style frame house at 823 North Lincoln Avenue was built by William Brach about 1884 and was later remodeled along classical lines. The Queen Anne style is evident in the irregular plan of the exterior, particularly the roof lines and the asymmetrical arrangement of the front facade. Two-story bay windows project from both the north and south sides and are each surmounted by a pediment. the multi-planed hipped roof with deck is also varied by a gablet on the east side. The front porch dominates the east side and curves around to the south. A doorway opens from the parlor to the south porch. The front porch with Ionic columns is the most dramatic element of the calssical alterations done around the turn of the century. Ionic columns also flank a second floor window.

The interior also reflects the Queen Anne influences of the 1880s with later classical alterations. The first floor rooms are a foyer, front and back parlors, dining room, kitchen, and bathroom. Parquet flooring remains in the foyer and dining room. The stairway is decorated with a stained glass window above the landing. Original woodwork with decorated corner blocks remain throughout the house except in the double parlors. The parlors were remodeled with new woodwork, mantelpeice and windows when the exterior was remodeled. The second floor has five bedrooms, a servant's room and bathroom.

William Brach came to Hastings in 1877 to manage a branch of Wolbach Brothers, a dry goods store which became the largest of its kind the central Nebraska. The business in Hastings prospered and was re-named Wolbach & Brach in 1887.

Source: National Register of Historic Places nomination form available at Adams County Historical Society.