A.H. Jones Company




"One of the most beautiful and conveniently arranged buildings of its kind in the state" is how the A.H. Jones garage was described upon its completion in April, 1916.

The front portion was made of white glazed terra cotta and the back of white enameled brick. The 56 by 132 feet building contained an elevator for moving autos to the basement used car show room. The building was demolished in 1966 to make way for the City National Bank.

The Jones Brothers, Charles L. and Arthur W. established a carriage and wagon sales business in Hastings about 1890. When it dissolved, Charles formed the C. L. Jones Company, one of the first firms to sell autos in Hastings, which was located in the Enterprise Block at First and Burlington. In 1907 his son, A. H. Jones, and E. A. Brandes purchased the firm and renamed it Jones & Brandes. They shipped the first rail car load of autos into Hastings in 1910, and also established the first auto repair shop. In the fall of 1910 the firm dissolved, each partner establishing his own auto sales business. The A. H. Jones Company, formed in 1910, sold Cadillac, Reo, and later Chrylser and Plymouth.

A. H. Jones served 10 years as a director of the National Automobile Dealers Association and was a Hastings civic leader for many years. He served 32 years on the Hastings College board of trustees, and in 1952 the college stadium, the result of a Jones gift, was named the A. H. Jones Stadium. The First Presbyterian Church chapel, dedicated in 1952, was a Jones gift as a memorial to his parents.