Antioch School is a one-room red brick rural schoolhouse, constructed in 1902 and located on an Adams County hillside five miles southeast of Pauline in Section 25, Little Blue Township. The one story vernacular building has a hipped roof with wooden shingles. The central doorway is located in a brick vestibule which has a tower topped with distinctive pyramidal roof. Storage sheds are symmetrical located on each side of the vestibule and are later additions (1930s). Three windows, evenly spaced ten feet apart, are located on both the north and south walls. A brick chimney is locate on the north side of the building. The classroom area measures 22 feet in width and 33 feet in length. Original beaded wainscoting is intact on all interior walls.
When the Antioch school was built in 1902 the Department of Public Instruction published a report written by William Fowler. The book described existing schoolhouses throughout the state and provided plans and recommendations for modern school buildings and grounds. As reported by Fowler, there were 6,773 schoolhouses (both urban and rural) in Nebraska in 1902. Adams County had a total of 89 schoolhouses. The majority of these buildings were constructed of wood--5,831,--while 464 were built of sod and 320 were brick. One of the typical schoolhouse forms, according to Fowler, was the two-by-three plan, characterized by "width two-thirds of the length, a single room without entry or vestibule, two or three widely separated windows in each side, and a door in the center or one end." The Antioch school area almost perfectly conforms to the 2-by-3 plan.
Two frame privies are located on the school grounds, one to the far north and the other to the far south as proscribed by School Laws of Nebraska for 1901. A storm cellar is also located on the grounds, directly west of the main entrance. In its prominent hillside setting, the Antioch school is an excellent example of a one room rural schoolhouse in its original setting.